Vision and Aims
The OnTrent Vision
"A river that is rich in wildlife habitats, landscape and historic features for the benefit of all, both now and in the future".
Aims of OnTrent
OnTrent aims to provide opportunities to improve the quality of life for local people and support the local economy by:
- Creating a rich diversity of linked wetland habitats along the Trent and its tributaries, from Stoke to the Humber Estuary.
- Respecting and enhancing the local distinctiveness, character and diversity of the landscape.
- Encouraging the adoption of sustainable practices in agriculture, forestry, mineral extraction, building development, water management and energy.
- Enabling people to connect with, understand and benefit from rivers and wetlands.
- Conserving, interpreting and researching the historic environment of the river valley.
- Encouraging sustainable recreation and tourism.
- Working with organisations and land managers to promote the value of wetlands and where appropriate the re-establishment of natural processes in floodplains.
- Encouraging others to adapt to, and mitigate the effects of, climate change.
- Providing a forum for new ideas and promoting joint working to meet OnTrent’s aims.